Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So, hypothetically, let's say....

SO! One of my favorite questions for people I am getting to know is what they would have for their last meal if they were on death row and were to die tomorrow. Hopefully this is solely a hypothetical questions, so it has no rules. Your meal could be compiled of things you've eaten all over the world! Some people know the answer immediately, some really need to think, but I think it gives awesome insight into a person. Since I have asked it SO MANY times, I know my meal right off the bat!

My appetizer would be a plate of fried calamari from a cafe in Zagreb, Croatia. I visited the city twice during my backpacking trip, and each time it couldn't be more perfect. The first time, we were coming off a solid month of city hopping. We were really booked for a while, seeing 3 cities in a week, so although we tried to enjoy the local cuisine we did spend a lot of time heating up pounds (no joke) of spaghetti in our hostel or eating crackers and cheese on overnight trains. Once we got to Croatia where we had 2 weeks (and a legit currency exchange for the first time!) we slowed down a bit, ordered a nice lunch, and enjoyed it while gazing out across a small square. It was so magical that when we stopped in Zagreb for a day on our return trip, we got it once again. I want this one more time :)

Beautiful square in Zagreb, Croatia where you can find the most delicious calamari EVER
Now my dinner is pretty complicated, or usually sounds so when people tell me their one item they would have. You could have sides in this game, you know!? My dinner would be based off the dinners my family has on our back porch in the summer. This meal usually consisted of steak as a centerpiece and I am not sure if I would still be attempting vegetarianism in prison, but if I was, I would just substitute my dad's steak (NO ONE ELSE'S) with some salmon. My sides would be garlic bread, a tomato with basil and olive oil, potatoes, onion from the garden with a side of salt, and a garden salad of just lettuce and oil and vinegar dressing. You would also have to stack your bites, which is something I thought everyone did but apparently not? Anyways, with this, I would have some "fresh squeezed lemonade" that they sell at  the Art's Festival. I never seem to have enough, so it would obviously be bottomless. YUM!

And since I won't need to be worrying about caloric intake ever again in this situation,  I would not pass up dessert. In Macedonia, I had what they called a "hot and cold" numerous, numerous times. It's basically one of those chocolate lava cakes with a side of vanilla icecream, and yeah you can get them at like Fridays, but the one at this restaurant surpasses them all. I think I'd top it off with a cappuccino from Big Dog in Southside since concerns about sleeping would also be unnecessary :)

Can't believe I found a picture!
There you have it! My last meal :) Just writing about everything makes me so hungry, but I do get (hypothetically) nervous that despite the meal being a combination of some of my best dining experiences, it wouldn't come close to eating each of the dishes in the context, with the company, where I had them. Without surviving off of pasta for a month, without the company of my family, without the numerous stories that come along with each dish, maybe the meal would lack any significance at all.

Besides the substitution of steak with salmon, I know this post doesn't really touch upon much, but I think it is important nonetheless. Ironically, a week ago, I got a text from my little brother asking what I would have for my last meal. His point of asking was not to gain insight into my soul (hopefully he has that already) but to bring up an amazing point. What would you eat if you knew it was going to be your last meal? Now, go eat it. Except in extreme circumstances, we don't know when our last meal is going to be nor do we have the choice to decide what it should be. So think about it, and plan a day this week to eat it (or something similar if it's anything like mine!). Enjoy the food, but more importantly enjoy the company and relish the experiences you have had with the meal. I did this weekend :)





No comments:

Post a Comment