Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Beet week!

Not too many amazing recipes to be posting this week! Lots of friends are back at Pitt so I have been grabbing lunch instead of fixing up some vegs in my apartment! I can tell you that Oakland has some pretty amazing vegetarian options. Veggie burger at Red Oak Cafe, gigantic salad at Hello Bistro (GO!), all the best things at Pamela's, my go to drunk food, the vegetarian quesadilla at Fuel and Fuddle, have made this last week pretty easy for me! The biggest challenge was not getting a corn dog at Kennywood, but after hitting 5 intense rides immediately after I wasn't regretting my decision :)



The new recipes that I did try this week all involved beets from my share this week! BEETS! Who would ever go to the grocery store to "just pick up a few beets"? Not me, or at least not me before last week! At first they intimidated me. I hate radishes and they look quite similar, so I was def nervous. I have had beets one in France and some macedonian salad before, so I knew I wouldn't die if I ate them (a radich, I would) so clicked on my trusty food gawker for some inspiration. What I put together was the most amazing dish I have made in my baby kitchen in the longest time! I couldn't stop talking about it for days and even sent the recipe to my CSA so they can share it on their website! Seriously, it's that amazing! Just cutting up the beets was an exciting experience, so many rich colors that these just have to be good for you. I ate this before doing a power hour for my friend's birthday, and had to warn everyone that I ate beets beforehand to avoid this hilarious situation.
One large beet or two smaller ones
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Chicken Broth (this amount I am really unsure of)
Garlic scapes or the green spring onions (from 2 weeks ago)
Chopped beet greens
Chopped kale leaves
Whole grain pasta
Feta cheese
Put beets and olive oil in large skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until tender. Add the choppped garlic scapes or spring onion and cook for another minute. Add broth and simmer until beets are very tender. Add the greens except pasta. Boil pasta, top with beet mixture and serve with tons of the feta cheese.



At the time I just used some of Trader's feta, but after cruising down to the Strip this weekend and picking up a gigantic block of fresh feta from Pennsylvania Macaroni Company, I am never going to buy it from anywhere else ever again. I also got eggplant, cherry tomatoes, kiwis, asparagus, and thyme all for under a dollar a piece. Just the experience of going to the Strip is enough, but the prices really are incredible. I also bought some more loose tea at a little hole in the wall called Prestogeorge where you can get an entire box worth of tea for 2 dollars. Its all loose, which means you get to smell dozens of different containers and pick which ones you want, and making your own teabags is hella fun. Last night I made organic chamomile before bed and it was such a peaceful end to my day :)


Drinking flowers!

Anyways, I had to pay 50 dollars to get my immunizations up to date today making not only my arm hurt but my wallet too. I don't think there's a huge trip to Traders in the next week, so I stocked up on 1.99 Lucky Charms at CVS. I don't think anyone will be needing a recipe for that :) Picking up my share tomorrow, so can't wait to see what I have to experiment with for the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment