Sunday, July 1, 2012

Happy Sunday!!

Ah I love Sunday mornings! Usually I wake up decently early and drink coffee out of my favorite mug as I check different blogs (like postsecret, every week!) and send an email to my bestest friend. This morning I was home, and although the routine there is to watch Sunday morning on CBS with my parents, I wanted to mix it up and made my mom and dad these absolutely amazing brown butter and buttermilk biscuits. This was my second time making them and oh god did it go easier than the first. Let me tell you about that, ok?

So a couple weeks ago, I have plans to go over a friend's house for lunch and get the strongest craving for biscuits EVER! I follow this amazing blog where I saw a recipe not too long ago and definitely wanted to cruise that. Unfortunately it calls for buttermilk, which apparently isn't something North Oakland keeps stocked at the gas station. After running around in the crazy heat I came up with the bright idea of just mixing butter in milk and calling it a day and came back home to get me some biscuits! (Note: you can make ghetto buttermilk by just adding 1 tbsp white vinegar to a cup of milk, ta da! Now you know). I was so incredibly overheated from running around that when I did finish my biscuits and threw them in the oven, I took advantage of the 15 minute cook time and jumped in the shower. There I am, 5 minutes later, shaving my legs when my fire alarm goes off! My first thought was "BACON'S READY!" from experience, and once I remembered I was in the shower and there was no bacon, the second thought was not an appropriate word as I ran out of my shower. I crossed my bedroom into my living room, realized I was completely blind without my glasses, and slid across the wood flooring back into the bathroom. I am basically in full panic mode when my fire alarm turns off? Alright. Relieved, I figured it was no big deal, and decide to check on my biscuits. Within seconds of opening my oven door, my apartment refills of smoke, setting off that damn alarm once again. At this point, any decency is out the door along with my attempts to cover up with a towel, and with one oven mitt and nothing else I am climbing on chairs to turn off the incredibly loud beeping as the rando Asian dude outside is taking a break from his daily Tai Chi to check out what the noise is. Fire alarm down, biscuits billowing smoke on the table, it turns out it wasn't my cooking but the parchment paper that decided to catch fire, of course! Pausing only to smile at how awesome the real biscuits were turning out, my hair dripped all over the tray and left a great hectic path through my apartment as I had to cut the down charred paper away from my baked goods. Moral of this story is to not leave your parchment paper long because it looks cute, and to be thankful for times when there's no one around to laugh at you. Whatevs, they turned out amazing!

Here's how they looked the first time I made them! Wasn't able to take any pictures today since my dad was patiently waiting next to the baking sheet, but I promise they were gorgeous. Follow this easy recipe and treat yourself to a glorious start to a morning!

YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment