Friday, August 17, 2012

It's official! I am a medical student!! Got my little white coat, talked to some patients this week, feeling pretty legit! As amazing as the last 2 weeks have been is probably how awful next week with Anatomy will feel for a while, but I feel incredibly fortunate to be where I am right now!! I have been so caught up with all the new changes in my life that I haven't been the best at updating, but I promise that will get better! Fortunately I have my share each week to keep me level and ensure that I am eating healthy, so I feel really lucky for that.

My past share was definitely eclectic, so I got to relieve some stress by whipping up some goofy meals with goofy things the past couple of days. Its been exciting finding different ways to incorporate the vegetables into usual meals before they go bad, like a race of something!

Well, minus the cantaloupe. But it was such a great mix up from all the vegetables I usually have! I also had a ride to and from the farmer's market, so that was doubly awesome (I didn't this week and had to carry a watermelon home, it was great). What a perfect post-yoga snack :)


I got a whole bunch of collard greens, which I'll admit, I basically let go to waste. I have found some inventive ways to incorporate kale but these guys threw me off a bit! I have been having fun finding ways to mix in some random vegetables with my usual meals though. I added some chopped collard greens to a tuna sandwich a couple times though, just to break up the usual mushy-ness and add in a little freshness, and completely made over tomato basil soup by mixing in some feta, fresh basil, and homemade croutons. I'll admit I was proud of this!



And last but DEFINITELY not least, this was the first week that I was able to make some desert-y dishes with my produce! I guess my farm has had their autumn squash come in a bit early, so I had some acorn squash in my share this past week. I love, LOVE maple syrup so made a glaze to go over my roasted squash and died a little. It probably wasn't the healthiest thing in the whole world, but haay it's got to be better than cake. I also got a couple branches (?) of rhubarb this week, and although I didn't have time to make a pie or anything, I was able to whip up a little crumble.. FROM SCRATCH. Admit it, now you're the impressed one. Mixed the rhubard and frozen blueberries with some sugar and honey, put it in the bottom of the ramekin, and added a combo of flour, brown sugar, and strawberry and cream instant oats (creative, ya?) ontop!




Oh my gosh, how did I almost forget?! I also got the most amazing letter from one of the farmers involved with Clarion Rivers and it was such an adorable touch. I read it almost immediately in my best southern accent of course. I died the entire time!

Dear CSA customers,
My, we're having nice weather here lately. Not quite as warm out but still sunshiny. Had a nice shower a few days ago that we really appreciated- should give gardens and fields a boast.
We're just a small family with a small farm. :) Daniel and I married in April of 2011 and in February we were blessed with a healthy little son. Actually just now he is playing here on the floor. He just learned to sit by himself and yesterday his second tooth pushed through. He's also just getting over a head cold so we're glad to have our happy Benjamin back.
We have 6 acres situated here on Larkin Rd. It's only 1 1/2 miles from Tobie Schmucker's, who are my parents. Daniel's family live in Greentop, Missouris so we dont get to see them very often. Daniel's brother is getting married next Thursday so tomorrow morning we plan to head out for Mo. We wont be back till around the 15th so we decided we'll just write our letter for your boxes a little early.
We have buttercup squash planted, besides okra, cucumbers, ground cherries, celeraic, parsley, a few parsnips, and some fall beets. The beets are just starting to peak through the soil!
With only 6 acres we dont have much of anything and what we have isn't producing the best. Hopefully with time and some fertilizers it'll soon do better. We enjoy produce growing and hope you enjoy our fresh produce.
- Daniel, Arlene, and Benjamin Miller.

SERIOUSLY how cute it that?!?! It really instills a connection between the buyer and the grower, which is something you definitely, definitely don't get in Giant Eagle or Whole Foods for that matter. There was another adorable letter in my bag this week, but I'll keep that until later to make sure you come back for more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment