Saturday, June 23, 2012

UGH! Over 24 hours later and I am STILL recovering from my first (and please god, last)  Bikram yoga class ! My fabulous, competitive poker playing friend James is flying down to Vegas in a couple days to win some bucks at the World Series of Poker (if he gets around to making his blog before he goes, I'll def post it here!) and wanted to try out some yoga that he could do to break up the hours of sitting at the tables. We went to some hot yoga at Amazing Yoga in Shadyside earlier this week despite it being equally, if not hotter, outside and it felt great for the both of us so we decided to amp it up a bit! We should have known to run when the instructor, after asking us if this was our first time doing Bikram, told us that our main goal of the next 90 minutes was to just stay in the room. Once she started class she reiterated the importance of staying  (we COULD physically/legally leave if we wanted to, but basically it would fuck everything up if we did) and told us that the feeling of wanting to vomit, pass out, or freak out were all normal. So here we are, in a 110 degree room, surrounded by essentially naked sweaty people, attempting to just keep living. 10 minutes in, I look over and James is attempting not to faint on the floor, and probably 5 minutes later I join in, and as we laid on the floor of this burning hot room I cannot help but curse the yogi who decided 2000 years ago that this was a good idea. Neither of us could muster the strength to stand back up, so were relieved that not only did the poses switch to the floor but that every single other person in the class was also fighting the primitive urges to pass the hell out. The best part of class was when it was over, and covered in an insanely unhealthy amount of sweat, we bolted out of the studio into the most refreshing rain ever. We chatted with this super friendly dude who shared some tips of how to drop to the floor gracefully and efficiently, but essentially told us that even after practicing for 7 years, yeahh it's not going to get any better any time soon. With 9 more days of unlimited classes, I will probably only go back if forced (and promised some peanut butter and chocolate covered Trader Joe pretzels, YUM).

The severe dehydration I felt during and after class probably wasn't helped by the 7 drinks I had the night before, but WHAT AN AMAZING NIGHT I HAD! My best friend Emily, 2 of the chefs at the restaurant, a birthday girl, and I went to a Farm Fresh menu tasting at SOBA Lounge in Shadyside. A 4 course meal that you can compliment with a glass of wine with each (we all did, obvs), each course incorporated fresh produce, greens, and meats from local farms of Western Pennsylvania (they listed the farms on the menu). This is exactly the kind of dining experience that I want to support, so didn't hesitate to make the night of one my meat eating occasions. Yea, I have been making some amazing vegetarian dishes (more on this crazy tasty sandwich I made last night later), but I'll admit nothing compares to the richness of pork, and knowing that it was a special occasion made it even more delicious. Plus, I'm sure the iron and other nutrients I consumed helped the next morning! Since I was surrounded by such great company, tasty food, and cold wine I forgot to take any pictures, but trust me IT WAS AMAZING! My little brother is leaving for the middle east in a few days for a Food and Beverage internship at the Ritz Carlton at Doha, Qatar and I really wish the menu lasted a few more days so I could take him here to celebrate. The next farm menu is August 13-18th and I am telling you, skip a few nights at the bar and treat yourself to something amazing. You will not regret it!

Alright, have to run and cater a wedding this evening, but will be posting about a delicious vegetarian dish when I get home! I made Kale Chips the other day, and they turned out horribly. I think the kale has to be really fresh and solid before you make it, so if I get some in my share this week I'll give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment